Prints On Canvas

Monday, July 26, 2010

Playing with alcohol inks

Hello! This is Sue here, sharing a how-to on using alcohol inks.

I picked up a little tin case from the dollar shop and thought I'd alter it using some alcohol inks. Some of us may be a little apprehensive about using alcohol ink for the first time, but it's really simple. And fun. Let's get going on the mini tutorial.

What you need is a couple of alcohol inks and an ink applicator, and of course your alterable:



Drip a couple of drops of alcohol ink onto the applicator. I used three colours here - Pesto, Raisin and Copper. Make sure the different colours aren't overlapping, otherwise you may end up with a brown mess. :)



Now for the fun part. Simply pounce your applicator on your tin. Don't drag it. Cover up your tin as much or as little as you like. It took just a matter of seconds and I had my tin all inked up. I like the marbled, almost batik look the alcohol ink gave the tin.


Now all that's left is for you to decorate the tin to your heart's desire. And here's my final product, my lovely altered tin:


Have a go at altering something and share your finished product with us on the YSS gallery. And don't forget about the Sketch contest that we have going on right now through to August 15th. More details here.

Have a great scrapping week. :)

7 comments:

Martine said...

oh wow! GORGEOUS!! I love how that turned out!!

Jscraps4u said...

Wow! I LOVE how that turned out! Thanks for the tutorial!!

Alyssa said...

oh my goodness, this is gorgeous! Love what you did with the inks, thanks for sharing.

Tamdsgns said...

love it! I sooo am trying this!

RobinV said...

How cool is that! I have never known how to use them and you make it look so easy.

Thanks so much for the lesson.

Kelly Massman said...

Gorgeous!

Keri said...

Wow, this is gorgeous, Sue! Love all the layered embellishments on top too!