Prints On Canvas

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Beadtastic Tuesday

Today I am going to show you how to make paper beads. This is definitely not a new trick, but one that you can use over and over again, customizing them for whatever you are creating.

I used two Graphic 45 collections here, A Proper Gentleman and On the Boardwalk. (Both are available in the store now!) First, cut long, skinny triangles - making the widest side the width you would like your bead. I made mine to be about 1 inch wide at the base.


Now you need to roll them up, while gluing them at the same time. This can be done a couple of different ways. The first is to soak them in a half water, half glue, solution. This method will create much thinner beads. The second method is what I have done here...


I used liquid adhesive, somewhat liberally, squirting down the length of the triangle. Then I began rolling the paper, at the widest side, towards the teeny point. As you can see in the picture below, adhesive begins to build up and roll with you, slightly squirting out the sides. You will get a tad sticky, but I have found this is the best method because you can smooth the adhesive over all the paper as you go, eliminating the need for sealing at the end.


When you get to the end, hold tightly for a few seconds. If you have used an adhesive that isn't quick drying, you might have to hold just a bit longer.

These are how my beads turned out...I finished my own with some Maya Mist and Distress Ink.


I hope this was a fun reminder, of an old technique that you can use on some of your future projects! (A few of these beads will be showing up as embellishments on a layout later this month...)

xx Heidi

3 comments:

Alyssa said...

Those turned out great!

Erica said...

I need to find a layout I can use these on!

Valerie Bishop said...

Love the pp you used for these - they are gorgeous!