Prints On Canvas

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Mask this!

Today I want to show you a simple way to create a multi-paper background look, while just using one sheet of patterned paper! In the layout below I used Bella Blvd paper, and masked it to make it look as though I had used two different sheets. I wanted the overall background paper to be a tad more subtle, with a worn look, so I handcut out several rectangles, and using painters tape, I adhered them to the bold yellow background paper.

I then used gesso to roughly cover the whole paper, brushing it right over the edges of the masks, and then misted with Maya Mist in Buttermilk Cream. I let it set for just a couple minutes because I did not want the masks to dry to the page, and then peeled the masks off. This allowed for a peek-a-boo effect showing us the bold yellow patterned paper underneath.


I then used my black oil pastel stick, smudging around the edges of the rectangles to give a little bit more dimension. Afterwards I dipped a paintbrush into Licorice Metallic Maya Mist and brushed onto the black smudges to soften up the lines and make them shine a bit.

I hope you can find this technique useful when you want to use only one sheet of paper! Have fun!
xx Heidi

Supplies used from the YSS store:
Bella Blvd paper
Prima Lace
Bakers Twine
Maya Mist in Buttermilk Cream and Licorice Metallic

2 comments:

Chantal Vandenberg said...

Wow what a brilliant layout & TFS your fantastic technique! The photo is lovely too - she looks like Scarlett Johanssen. :D

Valerie Bishop said...

Very cool technique Heidi!! And what a great layout!